News and Announcements
WMSC extends an enormous thank you to the dedicated volunteers who help produce the club’s successful race events throughout the season. No matter what the weather, our humble, enthusiastic volunteers are there to help! Pelase know your efforts never go unrecognized.
And to our community front line workers, we would like to say how grateful we all are for our extraordinary efforts during this most difficult time. Thank you!
Be sure to check out our virtual year-end awards presentation, broadcast on our website on Saturday, April 2th. Stay tuned!
End of Season Wrap Up – Saturday, April 25
Join us this Saturday afternoon as we recognize the leaders from within our own ranks. Dictated by our current situation but worthy of every similarity to its inspiration, this year’s* End of Season Wrap-Up* will be broadcast to the masses in the form of an* Oscar-like award show!* Details for where to find it and how to access it will be updated on Saturday morning so check your inbox.
All of us strive to become the best version of ourselves, so to identify this year’s trailblazers is the first step to starting next season on the right foot. See you all this weekend!
Goggles for Docs Drive – Friday, April 24- Friday May 8
Our Alumni, Arabella Ng, is organizing a goggle drive to supply health care professionals with eye protection. Here is her message to the club:
If any of you have old ski goggles lying around that you don’t use anymore and are willing to donate, that would be great! Just a few requirements for the goggles:
- Lighter lenses are better but anything is appreciated!
- Lenses must be not too scratched …… the doctors have to be able to see!
- For obvious reasons no cracks or other holes in the lens!
There will be a box outside the ski club for the next two weeks (starting April 24th) for you to drop them in.
Here is how to prepare the goggles for drop off:
- Wash your hands thoroughly for 20 seconds
- Use disinfecting wipes/spray to clean a work area
- Use disinfecting wipes/spray to clean all parts of the goggles
- Once goggles are dry, place each pair in a clean unused Ziploc bag and seal them.
- Drop off into the collection box outside WMSC!
Thank you so much!
April 17, 2020
To all Parents, Athletes, Coaches, Volunteers, Sponsors, Alumni and Community Stakeholders.
These are certainly difficult days for everyone, and I therefore do not want to take up much of your valuable time with a long note; other than to say, I look forward to helping the Club through this challenging period and insuring we will have a bright future ahead.
I do want to say a massive thank you to Mark Tilston for his significant contributions to WMSC over the past 5 years. His stewardship, passion, rigor, experience, and discipline centered on the development of our athletes, coaches and the overall program will be a lasting foundation. We are all very proud to know that Mark will be leading the Canadian Alpine Men’s team and certainly wish him and his wonderful family, Britt, Nina and Tiree, all the best in this new endeavour. We will be watching Mark!
While I officially start May 1st, I have been working with both Mark and the Executive Committee of the Board to facilitate a seamless transition. Our number one concern at the moment is for the well being of you and your families. Please take good care of one another.
There are a few updates I want to share with you stemming from my first Executive Committee meeting.
- We are very excited to announce that there will be a year end celebration, albeit not in the parking lot with a bbq and a beer. This year, thanks to Conrad Pridy, WMSC will be hosting a virtual awards show. Stay tuned for further details; please add April 25th to your calendar.
- The Club will be applying for the appropriate government subsidies both for our not-for- profit organization and wage subsidies for our coaches and key staff.
- Regarding potential credits and refunds for our season 2019/20, we will be assessing this once our year- end audit is complete, and we better understand what we qualify for under the current government programs.
- Additionally, we will be sending out our annual membership survey, which you can expect to be delivered sometime in May.
Finally, know that the Club and our more than 50 years of “developing champions in life and sport” is well positioned to emerge out the other side of this public health crisis, whenever that may be. We will communicate regularly with you as more information becomes available regarding resumption of normal club activities.
The Audi 2020 Canadian Ski Racing Votes and Nominations are open for only 2 more days.
Nominate WMSC as the Ski Racing Club of the Year Now! Follow this link to nominate and vote for your athlete, coach, volunteer, Ski Racing club of the year https://alpinecanada.org/awards
Let’s have some good news on this difficult time. Please forward to your friends and family.
Rob Boyd Bursary Nominations deadline Monday, April 20th
Athletes, if you haven’t nominated a teammate, do it now! Deadline is fast approaching. Please email the WMSC Bursaries Committee at email@example.com
This is the Second Year of The ‘Rob Boyd Bursary’ which is awarded annually, to the next seasons U18 athletes, making current 2nd year U16’s eligible for the award as well.
1 female and 1 male athlete will be awarded $1000 each, which will be credited towards their WMSC account. In time, as the fund grows, additional bursaries may be awarded.
Candidates should embody the ‘WMSC Teamship Values’ and include (but not limited to):
- Passion for the sport – ski racing as well as knowledge/skills/desire to ski all aspects of the mountains.
- Sportsmanship – showing positive attitude, assisting fellow athletes and appreciation for officials/volunteers (on or off the slopes).
- Be a role model/mentor/ambassador for the sport (yet perhaps have a bit of a wild side?!?).
- Work ethic – arrive early, stay late (to take one or two more runs – off piste?), show a willingness to assist coaches, collect/transport training equipment and gear when necessary
- Show potential and desire to be successful in racing, and when appropriate, give back to the sport.
Nominations should be submitted by teammates or coaches directly to the WMSC Bursaries Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why the individual should be considered for this award. Submissions should be in letter form and include anecdotes or examples that exemplify the individuals’ character and/or actions deserving of recognition and support.