Summer Wrap-up communications
Starting August 1st, the WMSC office will be shutting down for the month while we take our summer vacations. In preparation of this, we share an update and details about the fall for your planning purposes. Please see the info below:
Summer Availabilities – The office will be closed and Blanca away from August 1st until after labour day, reopening on September 6th. We still have two events taking place during this time, FIS Mt Hood camp and the U16s dryland hut trip, therefor here are the availability of other staff who will be on to support.
- Mike will be available until August 15th.
- Richard and Jessica are returning August 8th for FIS dryland re-start
- Jack will be returning August 26th to prep for the U16s Kees and Claire dryland camp week.
– Over the last few months, we’ve been actively working on recruitment for the upcoming season in key age groups. Here is where we are at:
- U12 – Jack is returning as lead coach. There are new coaches coming on behind him, but at the moment, we aren’t in a place to make any announcements.
- U14 – We are happy to announce the hiring of Chloé Sigouin as our new lead coach for the program. Chloé worked as an assistant coach with the club a few years back with the U14s and last season, stepped in as a guest coach on occasions. In the meantime, she has been working with the mountain’s Race Development Program (RDP) and with the CSIA. She is an ACA development level certified and performance level trained coach and recently achieved her CSIA level 4. Please join me in welcoming Chloé to the role! Working alongside her as a main assistant in this program, we have hired Glòria Costa, a coach from Spain who has been working with her local club over the last four seasons and raced a couple years of FIS as an athlete herself. Glòria will be joining us in November
- U16 – The lead U16 role has been our most challenging position to fill. Since the Spring, we have had this job posted on sites in Canada, the US and in Europe while also promoting on social media and personally calling our networks throughout the ski community. As of today, this position is still vacant. We received a handful of applications, all international and only two from qualified candidates. They were both promising but unfortunately it didn’t work as they were not in a place to move to Canada just yet. Though it is a slim labour pool at the moment, we continue putting the word out, calling contacts to see what comes up and will share any news when it arises. In the main assistant role, after a series of May and June camps working with the FIS and U16s, José will be in this position, returning to Canada in November after working back home in Chile as the lead U16 coach in El Colorado.
- FIS – As was shared in the Spring, Richard is here as our lead FIS coach and Jessica will be in place as the women’s head coach. The news to share is that we’ve hired a coach from Val d’isere, Mateo Martinal to work with the men’s group. Mateo has been working with the ski club for the last 7 years and as a ski instructor as well. He’s had good exposure around high level racing, helping with their annual world cup events and has even as a forerunner for the Downhills. Mateo will be arriving in November.
– As a reminder, membership registration deadline is August 31st, please click here to complete if you haven’t done so already. As a note for program fees, these will be released in September and share when they are set.
– For everyone’s calendars, please see below our key dates and events for the fall.
- Dryland restart – Sports!Saturdays will return on September 10th and regular U12 to U14 drylands will take place Tues/Thurs in Whistler and Wednesdays in North Vancouver. Locations and times to be announced closer to these dates. FIS will have their own dryland days.
- Ski Swap – Save the date, October 8th at the Fairmount in Whistler.
- Parent info sessions – These will start the week of October 24th.
AGM and Gala Fundraiser – Saturday, November 5th, back on the calendar is the return of our pre-season kick off fundraiser event with the AGM on the same day. A morning AGM and evening party!
– Please see below the departure and return dates for each age group
- FIS – Around November 12th to Panorama. Specifics to come from Richard.
- U16 – Camp #1 to Sun Peaks on November 18th. Camp #2 to Panorama on November 25th, leaving directly from Sun Peaks. For those only doing Camp #1, they will return from Sun Peaks on the 25th.
- U14 – Sun Peaks, departing with the U16s on November 18th, Returning November 27th.
- U12 – Sun Peaks, departing November 22nd, returning with the U14s November 27th.
– The season’s regular programing week will start December 8/9 for Extended and Core+ and 10/11 for Core.
I hope everyone is enjoying the nice weather and time with family. See you in September.