News and Announcements
Hello WMSC Membership,
The first communication after a good first week, getting up to speed and making some plans for the summer. To kick things off, recognizing the time sensitivity to get summer programming started, below and attached are the initial plans for dryland, coaches and camps.
Coaches – With the departure of Conrad and Drew, there are openings and opportunities to work with.
- For FIS/U21, I’m stoked to announce that both Richard and Henry will be coaching this program with Richard in the Lead/Head coach position. Between both of them, they will run and coordinate the U16/FIS summer programming, I’ll also be helping as needed.
- U12/U14 – Matt will be in place to organize and operate summer dryland for these programs with myself helping as needed as well.
- Job Postings – Over the next couple weeks, we’ll get our U16 position posted as well as any other lead position roles that are open.
Dryland – Please see the attached one pager for the general summer plan with specific details such as times to come out shortly from the coaches via Team Pages. Here are a few highlights from the attachment:
- Starting this Tuesday, we will have a soft opening of the gym, available for U16/FIS athletes to drop in during specified hours to do their programs. One of us four staff members will be in place to supervise and ensure safety.
- June 5/6th will be dryland testing for FIS, U16 and U14. This will also mark the official change over date for athletes to move up to second year into the next program.
- For the families outside of Whistler, we recognize the challenges to make it to local drylands. We’ll work to keep up our engagement through online sessions, coach check-ins and as things open up Covid-wise, re-looking at what options there are to connect in the lower mainland.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the Board, Coaches, Blanca and Bob for welcoming me back into the club and helping make this transition as positive. I look forward to connecting with all of you, athletes and parents, over the summer, please reach out directly with anything to share.
Dear Whistler Mountain Ski Club Parents!
At the end of each ski season, the Whistler Mountain Ski Club’s Board of Directors sends out a survey to its membership. We are looking for your valuable feedback and reflections on the year.
COVID 19 has changed all of our lives. In the fall of 2020, it was not clear if there would be a 2020 / 2021 ski season at all. Our WMSC team and coaches managed to put together a program that was COVID compliant and allowed our ski racers to train.
The questions we are asking this year, are a bit different because of the year it was. Email invitations to this survey have been sent to the primary WMSC account contact for each family with athletes in 2020 / 2021 program. It will record your answers and comments anonymously, so if you do not wish to be identified please comment accordingly.
Survey results will be compiled and provided to the Club’s management and Board and will be used for strategic planning purposes. In addition the findings will be presented at the November Kick-off Meeting planned for the fall of this year.
We would ask for one response per family membership. Most questions include a box asking for comments. This is where we receive some of the most insightful feedback.
Thanks for your participation!
Board of Directors
Whistler Mountain Ski Club
Please join me in welcoming Mike Janyk back to WMSC!
Today Mike started as the club’s new Executive Director. We are very excited to now have Mike on board. While Mike has had a long standing association with the Club, as Executive Director there are many aspects of the Club’s programs and operations that Mike will spend time getting up to speed on.
Mike’s first focus will be on making decisions on what programming the Club will offer over the summer months and into the fall, given that we have been advised by WB that summer skiing will not be available this year. We hope to be in a position to make an announcement regarding summer programming over the next several weeks.
Over the next month Mike will also be working with Bob Armstrong and the Executive Committee to prepare for the WMSC Board’s annual planning session in June. In this session we will be working with Mike to develop the Club’s plans for the upcoming season and the decade ahead under Mike’s leadership!
We hope you and your family are continuing to stay safe as we are hopefully entering the waning days of this pandemic. Rest assured, there is much work happening behind the scenes to make sure the year ahead will be one of the best ever for the Whistler Mountain Ski Club!
On behalf of the Board,
WHISTLER MOUNTAIN SK CLUB
Conrad Pridy promoted to the Canadian Alpine Ski Team
“It is with tremendous pride and enthusiasm that we announce that Conrad Pridy has been promoted to the Canadian Alpine Ski Team as Assistant Men’s Coach with the speed group. This is very bittersweet as Conrad has been a tremendous coach with the Club for the past 4 years and contributed significantly with numerous memorable video productions. Unfortunately, Hollywood will have to wait. Conrad is and always will be a true pillar of our organization.
He will be sorely missed by all of us. His accomplishments while at WMSC are significant and certainly did not go unrecognized by the National Team. We wish Conrad all the best on his new endeavour and can’t wait to see his successful coaching career take flight on the World stage.”
Bob and WMSC Team
End of the year Coaches’ gratuities
This year, the Club will cover the contribution towards our coaches’ year end gratuities.