Announcing the ‘Rob Boyd Bursary’
For many years I have wanted to give back to the WMSC racing community in a greater way than coaching and sweat equity. Now that I’ve stepped back somewhat from my past role(s) with the club, I find myself in a position to do just that, by contributing monetarily to athletes who are deserving of the recognition and support for their ski racing endeavors.
The Rob Boyd Bursary will be funded through my Real Estate business. A portion of any commissions generated by WMSC members (or referrals from club members) who utilize my services for Real Estate needs will be contributing directly back to WMSC athletes, at a stage when they often need the support the most – the early years of FIS level racing.
The ‘Rob Boyd Bursary’ will be awarded annually, to the next seasons U18 athletes, making current 2nd year U16’s eligible for the award as well.
Beginning this April 2019, 1 female and 1 male athlete will be awarded $1000 each, which will be credited towards their WMSC account. In time, as the fund grows, additional bursaries may be awarded.
Candidates should embody the ‘WMSC Teamship Values’ and include (but not limited to):
- Passion for the sport – ski racing as well as knowledge/skills/desire to ski all aspects of the mountains.
- Sportsmanship – showing positive attitude, assisting fellow athletes and appreciation for officials/volunteers (on or off the slopes).
- Be a role model/mentor/ambassador for the sport (yet perhaps have a bit of a wild side?!?).
- Work ethic – arrive early, stay late (to take one or two more runs – off piste?), show a willingness to assist coaches, collect/transport training equipment and gear when necessary
- Show potential and desire to be successful in racing, and when appropriate, give back to the sport.
Nominations should be submitted by their teammates or coaches directly to me, explaining why the individual should be considered for this award. Submissions should be in letter form and include anecdotes or examples that exemplify the individuals’ character and/or actions deserving of recognition and support.
Please submit by March 31 to:
Rob Boyd – firstname.lastname@example.org
2629 Whistler Rd
Thanks, and I look forward to reviewing the submissions!